Monday, November 21, 2011

Contacting the Bus

21 Nov 2011

Dearest Family,

This Wednesday is transfers and our leaders called us last night to tell us that both Hermana Nava and i are going to stay for this one. I'm going to be with her until she goes home! She returns January 2.

So when I first got to Esperanza she told me about this tradition that the elders have here when they travel to district meetings. The other area in our district is really far so we have to take a 30 min bus ride every other week. Anyways, the elders contact the whole bus when they travel to these meetings or in other words the 2 of them ask the bus driver to turn off the music and they stand up in the front and preach to the whole entire bus. We’re talking grey hound size. So my companion was telling me she never had the nerve to do it but that she wanted to try it with me (which is funny because my Spanish is still awkward and not so good). So this Tuesday we decided to muster up the courage to try it. I was really nervous before but felt surprisingly calm when we started. All was going smooth and dandy (besides the fact that we were clenching to the overhead bars trying not to fall over while teaching as the bus was turning all the crazy curves of the mountain) but our message was going pretty well until i was talking and i saw some of the people with concerned looks on their faces yelling "Bolsas! Bolsas! Una Bolsa!" (bolsa means bag) I was a little confused. I thought. What bag? What are they talking about? Do Ii stop talking do I keep going? Uuhh.... so I stopped for a little and decided to keep going and we eventually ended. After we got off the bus Hermana Nava told me that there was a lady that started throwing up when we were teaching. haha! So I hope our attempt to preach the gospel wasn't that bad, but at least we had a good reaction from the rest of the bus. About 5 people asked for book of Mormons and we got their information. So, that’s all i have time to write about this week. It was an adventure and it strengthened my faith in this work. If we have the courage to stand up and open our mouths, the lord will bless us and give us the words and the strength that we need to do it. Words, so powerful that they make someone throw up…no, just kidding about that part. But really I know that if we have the faith, heavenly father can use us as his servants.


Love you all,

Hermana Jackson

1 comment:

  1. RACHEL! I love that you contacted the bus! Very brave and wonderful ...what a great experience!
    Thinking of you alot!

    ReplyDelete