Monday, October 10, 2011

Dear Family, 10 Oct 2011

Mom and Dad, that’s great that you had the Lambs over for dinner. They really need that friendship. Keep it up! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with Morgan Jean and Shannon. Thanks for sending the package. I´ll send a list of things for Christmas later.

So, we taught the 8 American girls again this week. It’s so weird teaching in English because Hermana Alvarado and I have really swapped roles. It’s also strange using church vocab in English because sometimes I can’t remember words in English like priesthood. Haha! But it’s really fun and these girls are really special. Last time one of the girls told us that she thinks that God sent us to them for a purpose and she is willing to listen because she thinks we have something that will help them. When she told me that I just wanted to shout,“Yes! You have no idea how important this message is!” It’s going to take some time with them because they are very involved in their church but they are open to listening and reading the Book of Mormon. The sad thing is that I won´t be here to teach them. That’s right I´m going to be transferred. This week! I don´t know where I’m going yet but I will find out this Wednesday. I´m going to miss this area and the members and my investigators but I’m excited for the change.

So, we set two baptismal dates this week! The first one was for Hermano Walter. He looks like Chrisian Bale but a Latino version. It’s weird. But he accepted a baptismal date but he didn´t go to church last time so we made plans to stop by his house in the morning to invite him. So yesterday we were on divisions and I went to his house and his cousin let me in the house. I didn´t realized he was sleeping in the hammock in their living room. He started waking up when I walked in and I did my best in my broken Spanish. I said “Buenos dias!” and then said something like “Are you going to go to church this morning?” He looked really disoriented and confused as to why I was there. My temporary companion was a 19 year old from the ward and she didn´t say anything so I continued to try my best. “It starts at 9. Ok? Alright, we´ll be seeing you there!” It was super awkward! It’s one thing in English but in Spanish...ahhh! Hhhaaha. He probably won´t remember half of it anyways.

So we had a baptism for Melisa. She is the daughter of an inactive and she is 13 years old. Her baptism was really beautiful. Yesterday I asked her how she felt after she was baptized and she said “Senti un gran alegria en mi corozon!” which translates to something like a great joy or feeling of happiness in my heart. She later told me she wants to serve a mission. After hearing that I had a gran aleria en mi corozon too! There is nothing happier than hearing something like that!

Also, last night we found the sweetest family, couple and their 2 year old daughter. They live in a tiny room without windows and it’s about the size of an office cubicle. There were no chairs and no bed, just a blanket on the floor. At first they didn´t want us to come in because they were ashamed of the living. We started teaching them the first vision and the spirit was so strong and they were really receptive. At first I felt really bad for them but while being in there I had the strongest impression of how happy this couple was and how they were truly humble. Hermana Alvarado told me she felt the exact same thing. These people here are amazing. They´re such good examples to me and I hope I can help them receive the fullness of the Gospel.

Love you all! Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment