Monday, October 17, 2011

Esperanza en Esperanza!

Dear Family, 17 Oct 2011

I’ve been transferred to Esperanza! For those of you who don’t speak Spanish, Esperanza means hope. There is definitely a lot of hope in this new area, even though there is also a lot of rain, and large amounts of mud that I didn’t even know existed! I’ve decided that mud is my new enemy. Yesterday, my foot sunk into a pit of brown stickiness and I could barely pull my leg out without it taking me shoe! So, yeah, this place is way different than the scorching heat of Comayagua. It’s more mountainous and definitely colder! I really love it though. It’s beautiful. I tried to take a picture of the view from our window this morning but there was too much fog so I’ll have to send one next week. But here is a picture of my new companion Hermana Nava. She is 39 years old and is from Mexico. She has 7 siblings serving missions right now! Crazy huh?! She told me that she was the first to go and set the example for the rest of them.

So here in Esperanza, we have a small branch. On Sunday, I had to speak in Sacrament Meeting and lead the hymns, teach primary, and Sunday School! Whoa! It’s going to be a new challenge, but it’s been a good experience. I have felt a big change in myself with this new companionship and new area. I feel like I’m starting to reach potential that I didn’t know I had. For example this week, I met my new investigators and gave 3 different lessons with them, I felt prompted to invite them to be baptized. All of them said yes! It blew me away! My faith in the power of the Holy Ghost is growing and my confidence also. Even though I don’t speak Spanish very well, I’m learning that I can still be of use to Heavenly Father. It’s amazing what the Spirit does to people. Last night we were teaching a girl named Keren. She is 17 and her mom is inactive but recently came back last Sunday. In our lesson, they had a lot of questions about her dad who is dead. We taught the plan of salvation last time and they had some time to ponder it and we answered their questions about the Spirit World. Hermana Nava felt prompted to tell them that her dad is in Spirit Paradise right now praying for her to accept this gospel. The Spirit was really strong and we hadn’t really taught anything we planned on teaching but I decided to ask her "will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized?" Before I even finished the invitation she burst in to tears and nodded her head and said yes. She left the room for a bit because she couldn’t speak. The Spirit was overwhelmingly strong! I was so surprised by her reaction. I didn’t realize how much the Spirit had prepared her for this step in her life. It was a beautiful moment. Heavenly Father truly guides us to the people who are ready.

Love you all!

Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment